Hyderabadi vegetable biryani is generally believed to have originated in the kitchens of the Nizam of Hyderabad, of the historic Hyderabad State, as a blend of Mughlai and Iranian cuisine.
This Hyderabadi biryani is the most well-known veg biryani recipe posted on the blog, attempted and tried by numerous readers.
Hyderabadi vegetable biryani formula is one of the delicious varieties of biryani and tastes wonderful. One of my preferred biryani is the Hyderabadi vegetable biryani.
- my mother makes the best biryanis and I have seen her multiple occasions cooking biryani with a lot of adoration and care.
- You truly need to cook biryani with persistence, care, and attention.
- There ought to be no hurry and cooking a biryani occupies some time.
- However, it is defended, regardless of all the difficulty.
- It is one of the most royal and excellent rice-based dishes from Indian food.
- The biryanis which I have seen my mother making at home have consistently been cooked on dum.
- In a perfect world, biryanis are cooked on dum. However, I have seen and perused pressure cooked biryani plans as well.
- I attempted different strategies and methods to cook biryani in a pressure cooker.
- With the exception of one method, the remainder of the strategies didn’t succeed and the biryanis tasted to me like pulaos.
How is Hyderabadi vegetable biryani made?
- Authentic vegetable biryani is in every case slow cooked on dum.
- This cooking on dum gives the biriyani its uniqueness and creativity.
- This is the manner by which the biryani has an excellent variety of the smells, flavors, and tastes brought about by the mixing of the ingredients utilized in making it.
What is dum cooking or dum pukht
- Dum pukht is a strategy of cooking in steam by not permitting the steam to pass.
- Dum pukht actually implies interfering with the steam.
- The food is kept in a fixed holder – for the most part earth pots (also known well Handi in India) which are fixed firmly with wheat flour batter.
- This doesn’t allow the steam to pass.
- The food gets prepared in its own steam and squeezes on a moderate fire infusing the flavors and fragrance of its own herbs and flavors in the food.
- Supplements are not lost in this procedure and along these lines, the food is nutritious as well.
- This tradition of dum pukht began in Persia where the dish was prepared, fixed, and afterward covered in hot sand to mature.
- Dum pukht is a piece of the Avadhi/Awadhi cooking which is from the city of Lucknow – Uttar Pradesh.
- Its strategy is likewise utilized in Hyderabadi, Mughlai, and Punjabi foods.
The unobtrusive kinds of the garam masala, onions, and curd are so mixed in the vegetables. Each nibble of the vegetable had the taste, flavor, and aroma of the masala just as the extraordinary taste of that veggie.
Everything I can say is that each bite of this Hyderabadi veg biryani formula was Heavenly. most definitely, it’s best to utilize all the fixings as referenced beneath.
This veg biryani formula post is one of my long posts. I have included a bit by bit of recipe details. I trust you appreciate making this recipe as much as I enjoy making this biryani.
- 1.5 cups basmati rice or 300 grams basmati rice
- 1 cup water for soaking rice
prepping vegetable for biryani
- 150 grams cauliflower or 1.5 cups medium cauliflower florets
- 90 to 100 grams potatoes or 2 medium potatoes or ¾ to 1 cup chopped potatoes
- 90 to 100 grams carrots or 1 medium to large carrot or ½ cup chopped carrots
- 50 grams french beans or 11 to 12 french beans or ¼ cup chopped french beans
- 8 to 10 white button mushrooms, sliced or chopped, (optional)
- 1 small to medium green bell pepper or 40 to 60 grams capsicum or ¼ to ⅓ cup chopped bell pepper (optional)
- ½ cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 115 grams onion or 1 large onion or 1 heaped cup thinly sliced onions
- 10 grams ginger or 2 pieces of 2-inch ginger or 1.5 tablespoons finely chopped ginger or 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 5 grams garlic or 10 to 12 medium garlic cloves or 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic or ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 green chilies, slit or sliced
for cooking Hyderabadi vegetable biryani rice
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 3 cloves
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf)
- 2 single mace strands
- 5 cups of water
- ½ teaspoon salt or add as per taste
for biryani gravy
- 3 tablespoons ghee, can use 3 tablespoons oil instead of ghee
- 1 teaspoon shah jeera (caraway seeds)
- 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf)
- 3 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamon
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh whisked curd or 200 grams (yogurt)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ cup water for pressure cooking and ¾ cup water if cooking in a pot
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 1 tablespoons sultanas or raisins
- 2 tablespoons almonds, raw or blanched, peeled and sliced
- salt as required
for assembling and layering the biryani
- 20 grams coriander leaves or ⅓ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 5 grams mint leaves or ⅓ cup mint leaves, chopped
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strands
- 2 teaspoons kewra water or rose water
How to make Hyderabadi vegetable biryani recipe
- Pick and wash 1.5 cups (300 grams) basmati rice in running water till the water runs away from starch. Absorb the rice water for 30 minutes.
- Following 30 minutes channel the rice and keep aside.
- At the point when the rice is drenching prep different fixings. Wash, strip, and slash the veggies.
- I have utilized 3 cups blended veggies including green peas. You can utilize your decision of blended vegetables.
- Cut 1 huge onion daintily (around 1 stacking cup meagerly cut onion).
- Finely hack or smash 10 grams ginger (2 bits of 2-inch ginger or 1.5 tbsp finely cleaved ginger).
- Finely hack or smash 5 grams garlic (10 to 12 medium garlic cloves or 1 tbsp finely cleaved garlic).
- Cut 3 to 4 green chilies too.
- Hack coriander leaves and mint leaves. You ought to get ⅓ cup every one of slashed coriander leaves and mint leaves.
Cooking rice for veg biryani
- Presently we have to cook the rice. For cooking rice, you can utilize any strategy – microwave, pressure cooking, or cooking in a pot. For cooking rice in a pot, take a profound bottomed container.
- Include 5 cups of water and warm the water on a high fire.
- At the point when the water gets hot, include all the flavors and ½ tsp salt – 1 tej patta (Indian inlet leaf), 3 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 dark cardamom, 1-inch cinnamon and 2 single strands of mace.
- Heat the water to the point of boiling on a high fire.
- At that point include the rice.
- Just tenderly mix with a spoon or fork, after you include the rice.
- Check the flavor of water and it should taste somewhat salty.
- In the event that the water isn’t tasting marginally salty, at that point include some increasingly salt.
- Try not to diminish the fire and keep on cooking the rice.
- The rice must be 75% or ¾ᵗʰ cooked. The grains ought to have a slight nibble to them when cooked. The rice ought not to be completely cooked yet nearly cooked.
- Channel the rice in a colander. You can likewise wash the rice delicately with water so the grains quit cooking.
Making Hyderabadi Vegetable Biryani Gravy
- In a weight cooker or a skillet, heat 3 tbsp ghee. Include the accompanying flavors – 1 tsp shah jeera, 1 tej patta, 3 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 dark cardamom, 1-inch cinnamon. Sauté the garam masala till they pop.
- Presently include the cut onions.
- Mix and sauté them on a low to medium fire.
- Onions set aside a great deal of effort to cook, so add a spot of salt to revive the cooking procedure.
- At the point when the onions are cooking, take 1 cup of new curd/yogurt (200 grams) in a bowl. Beat the curd with a spoon or race till it gets smooth.
- Sauté the onions till they become brilliant brown or caramelize.
- At that point include the ginger-garlic glue and cut green chilies. You can likewise finely cleave the ginger-garlic and include.
- Sauté till the crude smell of ginger-garlic disappears.
- Include the turmeric and red stew powder. Mix and blend well.
- Next, include the hacked veggies.
- Sauté for a moment or two.
- Include the beaten yogurt/curd. Mix.
- At that point include ½ cup of water.
- Season with salt. Mix once more.
- Weight cook for 1 whistle on medium fire. In the event that cooking in a pot, at that point cook till the veggies are finished. Try not to overcook the vegetables.
- At the point when the weight settles down all alone, expel the top and check the sauce.
- In the event that the vegetables are not cooked well, at that point keep the cooker on the burner and stew the vegetable biryani sauce without the top, till the vegetables are cooked.
- In the event that there is an excessive amount of water or stock in the sauce, at that point stew till some water evaporates.
- The veg biryani sauce ought to have a medium or somewhat thick consistency and ought not to be watery.
- include cashews, raisins, and almonds (whitened or crude) to the vegetable sauce. Blend and mix. Keep aside. Do check the salt. Include more whenever required.
- At the point when the veggies are cooking, warm 4 to 5 tbsp milk in a microwave or in a little skillet on the burner. Include ¼ tsp of saffron strands. Mix and keep aside.
Layering Hyderabadi Vegetable Biryani
- Presently in a thick-bottomed skillet, layer half of the sauce first.
- At that point layer half of the rice.
- Sprinkle half of the hacked coriander, mint leaves, and saffron milk.
- Layer the rest of the sauce.
- Layer the rest of the rice. Sprinkle the rest of the coriander, mint leaves, saffron milk on the top.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp of rosewater or kewra water. You can make 2 layers or 4 layers like I have done.
- In any case, do recollect that rice ought to be the last layer.
2 Ways To Dum Cook Hyderabadi Vegetable Biryani
- Seal and secure the pot with aluminum foil.
- At that point spread the dish/pot with a tight-fitting top.
- You can likewise seal the handi/dish with clammy cotton material.
- At that point keep a top on top.
- At that point keep a heavyweight on the top.
- Take a Tava (frying pan) and warmth it on medium fire. You can start to preheat the Tava when you begin amassing the veg biryani.
- At the point when the Tava gets hot, at that point bring down the fire. Keep the fixed veg biryani handi on the Tava.
- Hold the fire to the most reduced and cook veg biryani for 25-30 minutes.
- You can likewise dum cook veg biryani for the initial 15 minutes on direct low fire and afterward throughout the previous 10 minutes, place the handi on the hot magma and cook on a low fire.
- You could likewise preheat the broiler to 180 degrees celsius and afterward heat the vegetable biryani in a preheated stove for 20-25 minutes.
- It would be ideal if you make sure to utilize an ovenproof glass utensil like the pyrex bowl for heating in the broiler.
- You should gather the biryani as referenced above in the ovenproof utensil. Spread with aluminum foil or the pyrex bowl cover and afterward heat.
Following 25 to 30 minutes, switch off the fire. Give a standing time of 5 to 7 minutes and afterward serve the Hyderabadi vegetable biryani.
- While serving the veg biryani, ensure you similarly serve the vegetables just as rice. Here is a pic of the layers seen inside the handi.
- Serve this flavorful Hyderabadi vegetable biryani With your decision of raita, onion-plate of mixed greens cucumber, mango pickle, simmered papad. Different backups for this Hyderabadi vegetable biryani are Mirchi ka salan and shorba sauce.
Don’t be forget to share on your social media pages like share, and comment.